Women Making Waves in Pro Gaming
In the past decade, pro gaming - also known as esports – has been overflowing with new talent, and one of the most interesting stories to come out of it has been the rise of female gamers paving the way as some of the best players in the industry. From competitive fighting games to massive battle royales, women have entered the scene with a vengeance, taking names in the process. This article will explore the growing presence of female gamers and professionals in the pro gaming world, and what this could mean for the future of esports.
1. A New Wave of Female Gamers
The past decade has seen an emergence of female professionals in the world of gaming. From female livestreamers reaching millions of followers to pro esports teams that are focusing on female gamers, women are taking the gaming world by storm. Here are a few key points demonstrating the rise of female gamers.
- Esports Teams and Tournaments: Many professional esports teams and tournaments are actively recruiting female gamers. This includes competitions such as the Overwatch Women’s League and the Pony Up League, which offer equal prize money and exposure opportunities for talented women gamers.
- Female Streamers: Twitch has become an invaluable platform for female gamers looking to showcase their skills. According to Market Watch, female streamers represented 25% of Twitch’s top 10 most-watched streamers in 2018 – over double filed the amount in 2017.
- Pop Culture: Popular movies, TV shows, and books are incorporating gaming characters more frequently. This mainstream exposure allows people to witness the sophistication of gaming and provides an opportunity for female gamers to become household names.
- Inclusivity: Professional gaming organizations like ESL are creating platforms that focus on the inclusivity of all gender identities and providing support for female gamers. Through collaboration and advocacy, current barriers for females to succeed in gaming are slowly being broken down.
These points represent some of the many amazing accomplishments in female gaming in recent years. The combination of competitive esports, streaming platforms, mainstream pop culture, and inclusivity initiatives is having a substantial impact on the perception of female gamers and furthering gender equality in the gaming industry.
2. Making History in Professional Esports
With the surge in popularity of professional esports, women have started to make their presence felt on the pro gaming scene. With organizations such as Women in Games and The International Esports Federation, female professionals are entering the competitive arena and making history.
Here are a few of the ways female gamers are changing the landscape of eSports:
- A Growing Professional Presence: As more and more organizations dedicate resources to female gamers, the presence of female professionals is growing. This is creating a more inclusive gaming industry, giving more players the opportunity to compete on a professional level.
- Creating New Genres: Women are creating genres that were previously unheard of. Mobile gaming, for example, is now a major field of competition, with many female gamers excelling in this area. This is leading to new and exciting opportunities for female gamers.
- Breaking Records: Women are smashing through records in professional esports. Female professionals are now world record holders in a variety of games, and the list is growing.
It’s clear that women are playing an important role in the world of esports, and the future looks bright for female gamers. With more organizations investing in female gamers, the sky’s the limit for the impact they can make in the gaming industry.
3. Opening the Gateways for More Women
As more and more women join the competitive gaming world, the number of opportunities and gateways open up to them. This is one of the best ways to increase the representation of women in esports, which has been historically dominated by male players.
In recent years, there has been an increase in female participation in gaming tournaments and pro leagues worldwide. This could be attributed to the establishment of initiatives that cater to and promote womens’ involvement in the scene. Here are some examples of such:
- The ‘Girls Make Games’ initiative, which allows girls to come together in an educational environment to make their own video games and provides them with access to resources like mentors, tutors and job opportunities.
- The ‘Women In Games’ initiative which provides support and advice to game-designers and female gamers to improve their skills. It also seeks to raise awareness and educate the gaming community about a number of issues related to gender equality.
- The ‘Women in Esports’ Network, which provides a platform for female gamers to connect, learn, and compete. It is dedicated to celebrating the accomplishments of women in the world of esports and creating an environment where women can thrive.
These initiatives have made a substantial impact on the gaming world, giving more women access to the competitive scene. In addition, there are a number of organisations and companies that provide support and resources for female gamers. These include big names such as Blizzard, Activision, and Riot Games.
By opening up these gateways for female gamers, the competitive gaming world has become more inclusive and accessible to all. With such initiatives, the landscape of esports is sure to become more diverse and vibrant.
4. Competitive Challenges for the Professionals
Women have taken the gaming world by storm. However, it can be hard for female gamers to break into the male-dominated gaming world. Female professional gamers face a whole set of challenges, some of which are unique to them.
- Stereotypes and Misconceptions: Female gamers are often viewed as being less skilled than their male counterparts. This can lead to women being passed over for gaming roles, or being taken less seriously by their peers.
- Gender Discrimination: Women have to contend with toxic environments online and offline, and gender discrimination is a common issue in the gaming world. Women are often subjected to objectifying comments, cyberbullying, and sexual harassment. This can create barriers to success for female gamers.
- Lack of Privacy and Safety: Female gamers have to be extra careful about their privacy and safety, as they may be targeted for online abuse. This can have a detrimental effect on their mental health and make it more difficult to pursue a professional gaming career.
- Limited Opportunities: There are limited opportunities for women to compete at the professional level. In many cases, female gamers are not accepted into competitive tournaments or leagues due to their gender.
Although the challenges can be daunting, female gamers are still pushing forward and making a name for themselves in the gaming world. With more women entering the scene, the landscape of professional gaming is changing for the better.
5. What the Future Holds for Women in Pro Gaming
Growth of Pro Gaming Tournaments
As more women participate in pro gaming, tournament sponsors are creating special events for them. ESL recently ran a major, all-female tournament called the competition for teams in the game Counter Strike: Global Offensive. This important event marked a milestone in the competitive gaming community – more women should have the opportunity to compete in professional tournaments.
The Rise of Women Streamers
This same trend is apparent in the world of streaming, with numerous female streamers making a name for themselves. Twitch has dedicated channels specifically for female gamers, and more women are getting recognition in the gaming world for their skills and content. This is a welcome sight, with more and more women being drawn to the streaming world, and getting the recognition they deserve.
Breaking the Stereotypes
Women are also using their newfound platform to break down the stereotype that gaming is a male-only activity. Content creators like Pokimane, IIJERiiCHOii and others are setting a positive example and proving that women can be just as competitive as men in the pro gaming scene.
Organizations like Girls Make Games and Girls Who Code are promoting pro gaming and tech among young women, striving to expand the number of female pro gamers and bridge the gap between genders in the realm of esports. These initiatives are slowly bringing about positive change in the gaming industry.
What the Future Holds
The future looks bright for women in pro gaming. With supportive organizations actively creating opportunities and the growth of special tournaments and streaming channels for female gamers, there will soon be more female competitors and content creators in the world of esports. Women are, and will continue to make waves in the professional gaming space. It’s clear that women are making significant progress in pro gaming and wow, are they making waves! We can expect to see women dominating e-sports stages, streaming platforms, and other gaming circles in the future and it’s an exciting time to look forward to.