YouTube Video Editing: 5 Tips & Tricks
If you’re a YouTuber or an aspiring video editor, you already know that editing is the key to great content. And with the rise of the internet and YouTube, the video-editing revolution is here. You don’t need fancy (and expensive) software to do it - you just need the right tips and tricks. In this article, we’ll be sharing five easy steps you can take to make your YouTube videos look professional and polished. Let’s get started!
1. Introduction to YouTube Video Editing
Whether you’re looking to create your own YouTube channel or are a seasoned video editor, mastering YouTube video editing can be a daunting task. With all the tools and effects available, it’s hard to know where to begin. Fortunately, there are a few simple tips and tricks that can help you get the most out of your YouTube videos.
In this article, we’ll look at five tips and tricks for mastering YouTube video editing:
- Utilize the YouTube Video Editor – YouTube provides a powerful and easy-to-use video editor that has all the tools you need to create stunning videos.
- Organize Your Content – Your videos should have a clear purpose and flow. Spend some time deciding what content you want to include in your video and organizing it in a logical way.
- Experiment With Effects – Video effects can transform a basic video into something special. Don’t be afraid to experiment and see what works for your videos.
- Pay Attention to Audio – Audio is often overlooked but is essential to a successful video. Make sure you use high-quality audio and mix it correctly.
- Find the Right Music – Music can set the tone of a video and give it added emotion. The YouTube Audio Library offers a wide variety of free music and sound effects to choose from.
With these tips, you’ll be on your way to creating amazing YouTube videos. Keep practicing and explore all the features that YouTube’s video editor has to offer for even better videos.
2. Tip #1: Familiarize Yourself with the Basics
1. Learn the Video Editing Software
Before you even start editing, you need to make sure you’re familiar with the video editing software that you will be using. While there are many options available, the best way to start is by familiarising yourself with the basics. Learning the software, from what each control does to how to animate clips, will allow you to quickly prototype creative ideas. Additionally, it will help you get the hang of the editing process faster and make it easier to upload videos to YouTube.
2. Understand What YouTube Forums Want to See
YouTube commenters are often unforgiving so it is important that you understand what they look for in a good YouTube video. YouTube forums are often filled with people who thrive on good editing and production value, so make sure to cover all the important aspects such as the cutting of the video, the transitions, and the overall pacing. Additionally, make sure your video follows YouTube’s norms and guidelines, such as the 10 minute time limit on videos.
3. Utilise the Editing Tools
Editors on YouTube have a plethora of tools available that can be used to make your videos more visually appealing. Some of these include:
- Colour grading
- Audio mixing
- Speed ramps
- Title cards
Using these tools will allow you to spice up an edit and make it stand out from the competition.
3. Tip #2: Choose the Appropriate Video Resolution
Decide Your Output Video Resolution
Having the right resolution for your video is essential and it can be determined by considering two important factors:
- Where will your video be displayed?
- What is the maximum resolution your device can support?
If you are uploading your video to YouTube or plan to save your video on your device, you need to select the resolution based on the device that is playing the video. Television Sets and media players usually support resolutions of 1080i, 720p, 576i and 480i. Choose the resolution that offers the best image quality for the intended target device.
For YouTube, you need to select a resolution that is between 360p and 1080p. The higher the resolution, the more upload time and more space it will take up. Therefore, if your device supports it, you can go for a high resolution such as 1080p for superior image quality.
4. Tip #3: Make Use of Editing Tools Available
One of the most important parts of creating a great YouTube video is editing. Luckily, there are an array of tools available for anyone who wants to perfect their videos. Here are some of the top editing tools for YouTube:
- Video Editing Software: There’s a myriad of editing software available for download ranging from free to paid. Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut are two of the best options. These software pieces are very easy to learn and can take your videos to the next level.
- YouTube Studio: YouTube Studio is the online video editor that YouTube designed for you. It might not have the power of something like Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut, but it does allow you to easily edit your videos, add text, music, and other features.
- Third Party Software: There are numerous third-party software options to choose from such as Camtasia, Movavi, and iMovie. These are actually very powerful video editing tools and can help you create amazing videos with ease. Most of them have free trial versions which you can take advantage of.
These are just some of the tools available to help you take your YouTube videos to the next level. Don’t be shy to try out different tools until you find one that works best for you. With the right tool, you will be able to quickly and easily create amazing YouTube videos.
5. Tip #4: Find the Right Music for Your Video
Once you know what type of video you want to make, it’s time to pick some music. Music can really tie a video together and give it that extra touch. There are a few things to consider when selecting a song for your understanding how the audio affects the entire project.
- Location: The music needs to fit the setting of the video you are creating. If you’re creating a video about nature, look for tracks with calming melodies and natural sounds. If you’re creating a motivational video, perhaps something with an uplifting beat and inspiring lyrics.
- Copyright: While there is copyright free music out there, it’s always best to have a license for any music you use. Look into royalty free sites to find the right music you need that is not subject to copyright infringement.
- Your style:Your video should have its own signature sound and it starts with the music. Whether it’s an upbeat track, an ambient piece, or some other genre, make sure the music fits the atmosphere you are trying to create and compliments the other elements in the video.
As you’re searching for the perfect tune, don’t be afraid to experiment with different options. Listen to different sound clips and go through them until you find the one that speaks to you. When you’ve found the right music for your video project, you’ll be ready to showcase your YouTube video on the world’s largest platformly.
6. Tip #5: Keep the Video Short and Engaging
It’s important to keep your video short and engaging. Longer videos can drag on and lose viewers. Here are a few ways to achieve this:
- Include a hook. Your first few seconds need to set the tone for the video. By including a creative hook, you’re more likely to keep viewers interested in what comes after.
- Keep non-essential content to a minimum. Unless it’s completely necessary, avoid adding superfluous content. Cut out anything that doesn’t need to be in the video; this can help your viewers stay engaged.
- Include subtitles. Even if your video is already under the recommended length, subtitles can help viewers understand your content faster and keep their attention throughout.
You don’t need to limit yourself to one-minute videos; however, if your video is getting too long, consider breaking it up into multiple parts. This will help retain viewers who may not have the time to watch it all at once.
Overall, YouTube video editing can be a daunting process. With so many things to consider, it can be hard to get it right the first time. Thankfully, with a few essential tips and tricks, video editing for YouTube can be a breeze.
- Know the Platform: First, understand the platform you’re working with. Research which types of videos perform well on YouTube and which fail.
- Set the Tone: Set the tone of your video by selecting the right music, color saturation, fonts, and transitions. This can set you apart from other videos on the same subject.
- Pay Attention to Details: Take special care to pay attention to the finer details. These can make or break your YouTube video.
- Prioritize Quality: Prioritize quality over quantity. Even if you don’t have the means to completely overhaul your video editing process, you can still create something great.
- Keep It Short: Last, be mindful of the length of your video. Too long and people will zone out, too short and they’ll be left with unanswered questions. Find a happy medium that allows your audience to be both informed and entertained.
With these five tips and tricks, you can start editing awesome YouTube videos with ease. Keep them in mind as you start your next video project and you’ll be well on your way to YouTube stardom!
There you have it—5 expert tips and tricks for making your YouTube videos look and sound their best. With these tips, you’ll be able to take your video editing skills to the next level and make your videos stand out. Video editing on YouTube doesn’t have to be stressful, so get creative and have some fun!